The Courtyard

Entering the courtyard, the principal residential block of the castle is on the left. This was largely rebuilt in the 1830s, and the interiors were reconstructed during the most recent restoration programme. A mainly nineteenth-century range directly opposite the entrance gateway houses the Picture Gallery, its position marked by four handsome oriel windows with stone tracery and diamond-paned glass. This range was built on the foundations of a building constructed for the second Duke of Ormonde. Around the courtyard, drainpipes with elaborate lead rainwater heads are inscribed with the date 1682 and decorated with the Ormond crest. Some of these are replicas after the original.
Rainwater Head