The Gardens

In previous centuries the Castle was surrounded by parklands and enclosed by gardens with generous tree planting. This was gradually whittled away and changed over the centuries and, when the castle was first handed over to the people of Kilkenny in the 1960s, only fifteen acres of land was attached.  Today, the park comprises 21 hectares of land, providing a fitting setting for the castle and a splendid amenity area.

The Rose Garden from the Terrace Steps #2 Lead Statue of Hermes Lead Statue of Diana The Huntress Castle Park 19th C. Cast Iron Gates Kilkenny Castle & City, 1698 by F. Place (NGI)
The Rose Garden from the Terrace Steps #1