Building work 1760-1820

Building work carried out at Kilkenny Castle during the period 1760-1820 included fine stables attributed to Charles Virpyle (fl. 1774-1807) and the rebuilding of Butler House, previously the Dower House and now a hotel, which has elegant decorative interior plasterwork. Apart from Luckcombe's reference to a new building, the work on the core buildings at the castle seems to have been fairly superficial and concentrated on the interiors, although it was towards the latter part of this period that demolition of the square tower and other buildings on the east (river side) was carried out. The medieval gatehouse and the remains of the southern curtain wall were also swept away at this time.
Survey of the City of Kilkenny by John Roque 1758 (The Board of Trinity College