The Castle in Cromwellian times
Kilkenny was the focus for the Catholic Confederacy and had suffered badly when under siege by Cromwell’s forces in 1650. A detailed survey, carried out between 1654 and 1656, contains valuable information, and describes the castle as having only three towers by this date.
The survey also informs us that the ‘top of the battlements’ were 132 foot long by 20 foot wide and that there were twentyfive rooms in the castle. Also described in the survey were: a hall, a kitchen, an unnamed building and a long, narrow, brick ‘house built for soldiers’ containing eleven rooms.
Outside the castle gate were an ‘outergate court’ and a huge double ‘great stable block’.