The Entrance Corridor
Admission to the castle is through the central doorway of the residential block. Here a spacious entrance corridor constructed during the nineteenth-century rebuilding runs the full length of the block.
Initially the central section formed a porte-cochère, a projecting porch for carriages, but this was later extended to encompass the largely glazed corridor that adds a Gothicised dimension to the interior and allows for easier circulation on this level.
During a prolonged visit to Ireland in 1394-1395, King Richard II of England spent the month of April 1395 in the Earl of Ormond’s great castle at Kilkenny.
The reconstruction drawing attempts to show what the castle might have looked like during his visit, when it was at the height of its medieval development and before the many post-medieval changes.