Guided tours of the Period Rooms
Join one of our knowledgeable guides for a fascinating tour of the Period rooms of Kilkenny Castle.
One of our experienced guide will lead you throughout the restored Period Rooms of Kilkenny Castle and will put the spotlight on fascinating characters and hidden gems.
The guided tours give an unique opportunity to learn more about Kilkenny Castle and its Collections with exclusive access to the Medieval Foundations, the West Tower and the Ducal Palace Exhibition.
Tickets for available guided tours will be released each morning online.
Tickets for available guided tours can also be purchased on the day from the Ticket desk from 9.30am.
- Tickets for guided tours are available online.
- Pending availability, tickets will be available from our ticket desk on the day.
- Tickets for guided tours are not available more than 7 days in advance.
- All visitors need to have a ticket including all children under 12.
- Please arrive 10 to 15 minutes before your tour time to allow sufficient time to check-in at our ticket desk. (our ticket desk is located at the main gate of Kilkenny Castle, under the archway)
- All visitors must queue to enter the building. Please be aware that our queuing system is outdoor.
- Children under the age of 18 years must be supervised at all times. For more information check the OPW Child safeguarding statement.
- The average length of the guided tour is 45 minutes.
- Non-flash photography is permitted in the Period Rooms for personal use only. Video is not permitted.
- Parts of the Castle may not be suitable for visitors with reduced mobility, please contact us if you have any questions. Tel. 056 770 41006/ email@example.com
- Backpacks, large bags and shopping bags are not permitted in in the period rooms of the Castle. only small bags no bigger than A4 (8.27in/21cm x 11.7in/29.7cm) will be permitted.
- Locker facilities are available on site for large bags.
- In order to protect our collection you may be asked to carry small bags to the front while visiting the period rooms of Kilkenny Castle.
- The castle visit is not suitable for pushchairs.
- Arrangements may be subject to change. Check this website for up-to-date information.
Wonderful guide, fabulous place
On a very brief visit to Kilkenny, myself and my friend had some time to kill. We hadn’t planned to visit the castle, but we are extremely glad we did. The castle and grounds are magnificent and definitely worth a visit on their own merits, but it was our guide, Peadar, who really brought the place to life. His passion for history and heritage was positively infectious and his breadth of knowledge extremely impressive.
As a lover of history myself, I found the tour fascinating from start to finish and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone visiting the city.
Butler Family Castle
Kilkenny Castle overlooks town of Kilkenny and the River Nore. The self-guided tour winds through the public and some private areas of the castle. The history of the building and the family are fascinating and the renovations have transformed the building. The Picture Gallery is an incredible space.
Worth the visit when in Kilkenny. If the weather cooperates, take a stroll through the beautiful gardens.
We visited firstly the castle park (large, green) and the rose garden with excellent photo points of the medieval castle (1195), the river Nore and the medieval town of Kilkenny.
Then we paid the entrance fee (8 euros, OK) and visited the interior in a hurry since we were there on a day tour (Collins Day Tours) and it was a busy Sunday with a food fair right outside the castle with crowds of people.
The castle is very well preserved! Inside I liked the Great Hall with the tapestries, the children’s room, the Moorish stairs, the dining room with the table ready for dinner.