We are delighted to welcome you back to Kilkenny Castle and have taken the necessary measures to ensure that everyone’s visit is as safe and enjoyable as possible.
To ensure the safety of our visitors & staff, Kilkenny Castle is reopening at a reduced capacity
To help manage the visitor numbers and maintain safe, social distancing we’ve reduced the number of people we can welcome at one time and we highly recommend that you pre-book your ticket online to ensure admission at your preferred time & date.
If you have symptoms such as shortness of breath, fever or sore throat, stay at home.
- You will need to choose a 30 minute arrival time for the day you wish to visit. Tickets are issued for a specific 30 minute timeslot which is your arrival time only.
- All visitors need to have a ticket including all children under 12
- The first morning timeslot from 9.30am to 10am is reserved for ‘At risk group‘ and we would be grateful if you could respect this timeslot to allow vulnerable visitors to enjoy the Castle in a safe environment
- We invite our visitors with disabilities and their carers to contact us directly by email at email@example.com to book tickets.
- The Castle may not be suitable for visitors with reduced mobility, please contact us if you have any questions. Tel. 056 770 4100
- We regret that due to our restricted numbers Heritage Card holders do not get priority access at present.
- Groups of 10 or more need to contact our booking office. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
What to expect from your visit
To help keep our visitors and staff safe, we’ve made some changes on site and we’d be grateful if you could follow the guidance below.
When you arrive
If you have prebooked tickets
- Before you arrive please have your ticket ready to show our staff either on your phone or a printed copy.
- If you purchased an Heritage Pass online join the pre-booked ticket queue, you will need to present your Heritage Card when our staff is scanning your Heritage Pass ticket
- We have limited leaflets available and would recommend you download and print your own leaflet from our website (Several languages available) http://kilkennycastle.ie/visits/
- In order to maintain social distancing, please arrive within your timeslot. Sadly, if you are late, we won’t be able to guarantee you entry. Your entry will be at the discretion of the staff and will be based on visitor numbers and the ability to maintain social distancing.
- Join the prebooked ticket queue one of our staff will scan your ticket .Please be aware that our queuing system is outdoor
If you wish to buy tickets on the day
- A limited number of tickets will be available on the day from the ticket desk
- An outdoor queuing system will be in operation and tickets will be sold on the first come first served basis. Priority will be given to visitors with prebooked tickets
- Contactless transaction only
During your visit
- To keep visitor numbers at a safe level, the layout and flow of the tour route was changed to a strictly one-way system. Some of the Period Rooms are closed due to Covid 19 restrictions. Please follow the signs within the Castle
- All visitors to Kilkenny Castle are required to wear face covering.For more info check: https://www.gov.ie/…/aac74c-guidance-on-safe-use-of-face-c…/
- Several push pedal hand sanitisation stations are available at all entry & exit points as well as in all “high touch” areas but you are strongly advised to bring your own individual bottle of antibacterial gel
- Guided tours will no longer be an option offered at this time. The visit of Kilkenny Castle is strictly self-guided and operating a one-way system.
- To help keep everyone safe, please follow social distancing and government guidance when you visit. If you’re showing any of the symptoms of Covid 19, or if you’ve been in contact with anyone that has the virus in the last 14 days, please don’t visit at this time.
- Visitors may wear face masks should they wish. In line with current government guidance, our staff will not be required to wear face masks.
- Please don’t sit on the furniture and avoid touching any of our displays, furniture or exhibitions
- Our housekeeping team has implemented enhanced cleaning regimes in line with government guidance
- Our toilets facilities are open at reduced capacity and access is through a one way system
- The tea room in the Victorian Kitchen is open at a reduced capacity for more information email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Unfortunately we do not have Cloakroom /locker facilities or storage area for pushchairs/prams
- The Playground is open. Parents & guardians of children using the playground will be expected to supervise their children at all times. Please take all recommended precautions relating to the public health guidelines
- If you wish to purchase a Heritage Card we advise you to visit: https://www.heritageireland.ie/en/info/heritagecards/applicationform/
- An up to date list of open heritage sites can be found on: https://www.heritageireland.ie/en/
We are urging everyone to stay local, avoid busy places and continue to follow government advice on social distancing. Together we can make the visit of Kilkenny Castle safe & enjoyable.
We have limited leaflets available and would recommend you download and print your own leaflet below.
Visitor Guide (English) (PDF)
Other languages available at http://kilkennycastle.ie/visits/