The Moorish Staircase
Created by the architects Woodward & Deane to allow better access to the Picture Gallery and provide another staircase in this awkwardly shaped building. It is a rising half-turn stairs around a sky-lit well. Charles Harrison (1835-1903), the stone carver, is credited with the carved naturalistic foliage and small animals which adorn the stairs. Several reproductions of Woodward & Deane’s drawings are on display as well as Robertson’s elevation and some illuminated addresses.